CBD Label Design Tips
- We recommend designing your labels in Adobe Illustrator for best clarity when printing. Setup your document at 300 dpi in CMYK color format.
- Allow a 1.0 x 0.5” rectangle ‘blank’ space for your QR code sticker, which will include a QR code that pulls up a CoA for that batch, a matching batch ID number, and an expiration date.
- The QR code can either link to a PDF version of the CoA, or can link to a Lab Results page on your website with links to all CoAs for your product line. If your QR code links to the Lab Results page on your site, your customers will be responsible for finding the CoA they are looking for on that page.
- In your file setup, make sure you have at least a 0.125” bleed set on all sides, and make sure any graphic elements you want to go to the edge of the label extend to the edge of the bleeds.
- Be sure to allow for a 0.0625” inset ‘safe zone’ on all edges. This means no text right to the edges of the document, as it could get clipped when the labels are printed.
- We highly recommend, and some states require, the following to be included on each label:
- FDA disclaimer, which we’ve provided here: These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Consult a physician before using cannabidiol (CBD) in any form during pregnancy or while breastfeeding.
- For non-edibles, use the term ‘Product Facts’ or ‘Supplement Facts’ vs. ‘Nutrition Facts’, as some states don’t allow Nutrition Facts for non-food items.
- Make sure you include your company information, such as name, address, and website, listed as ‘Distributed by’.
- You may want to include a barcode, though be aware it must be large enough to scan, we generally recommend ¾” to 1” wide and about ½ inch tall. We can provide product specific white-label barcodes at your request.
- Be sure to include the type of CBD (or CBG) extract and the product type. Example: Full-spectrum CBD Tincture, Broad-Spectrum CBD tincture, or CBD Freeze Gel.
- Do not make any health claims! Avoid using titles and product descriptions like ‘pain relief’ or ‘sleep aid’ as these (or any health claims) are not FDA approved.
- Provide directions for use for each product.
- Show where the product was 3rd party lab-tested, including the full address.
- We recommend having the ingredients listed directly under the Product Facts, as some states require this format.
- Include the MGs of CBD per serving size. For example, a 1500mg tincture is 50mg per 1 full dropper. A 3000mg tincture is 100mg per 1 full dropper.
- Also include the container size, such as 1 fl oz and 30 milliliters for the 1 ounce tinctures. A 2 oz. tincture (our 6000mg tinctures) is 60 milliliters, but the mgs of CBD per serving are still 100mg.
- Be sure to have the THC content listed- Isolate and Broad Spectrum products are 0.00% THC, while Full-Spectrum products are Lab Tested at less than 0.3% THC, the federally legal limit.
- Some of the common label sizes are as follows:
- 1 oz. tinctures we recommend a 3.8” wide by 1.9” tall label, 1.8” is also a good height.
- 2 oz. tinctures we recommend a 4” wide by 2” tall label.
- For a full listing of recommended label sizes, please click here.
- If you are sending us label files to print, please provide each product SKU as an individual PDF, with all fonts outlined. This ensures the text layout remains the same despite what fonts are available on the prepress computers.
We hope this helps you create your own custom CBD labels!
**Standard Disclaimer: CBD is not FDA-approved. We make no such claims that using our products will guarantee relief. Moreover, research regarding CBD is still ongoing and in the early stages.**
Why Choose Sunny Skies For Your CBD Needs?
At Sunny Skies CBD, we are committed to:
1) making high-quality products
2) operating in an open and transparent manner
3) building an independently-owned and operated family business